Sunday, December 16, 2012
How to protect your computer from virus, spyware, and malware attack
One of the worst things that can happen to your computer is get infected by a virus, spyware, or any malware. Imagine yourself having all your important documents, files, reports, spreadsheets, CAD drawings, pictures, videos, music, and all other personal files. It is a great disaster right? Therefore, you must be aware that these virus and malware threats are serious and very destructive. A few years ago, my laptop was just over a year and it got infected by a Virtub virus. The first thing that happened was it disabled my Antivirus. I then restarted to Safe Mode with internet access. I looked around the web for an antivirus that is free and effective, one antivirus was able to remove some of the viruses but there was a few more. Luckily I was able to find an antivirus that really worked and it was on a 30-day free trial. This antivirus was developed in India. It took me almost a week to finally restore my files. Fortunately, all my files were intact except that it made permanent changes to some of the settings of my operating system. So, be warned and learn from your mistakes and the mistakes of others so that you will not become a victim yourself.
How to protect your computer from virus, spyware, and malware attack:
1. Install Microsoft Security Essentials.
Microsoft Security Essentials is a free program for Windows system computers that is useful for protecting your computer against malicious software such as viruses, trojans, spyware, and other malwares. It has an excellent real-time protection feature to constantly monitor and prevent your home or small business computers against malware attacks. It has a simple, easy, and user-friendly interface and it automatically updates the virus, spyware, and malware definitions database.
Download Microsoft Security Essentials Antivirus.
1a. You can also download the best free antivirus on the web. If you prefer not paying annually for antivirus software, consider downloading and installing these free antivirus programs that are proven, tested and effective. Some of them are even better than the paid versions.
Download the Best Antivirus softwares.
2. Install Malicious Software Removal Tool
The Microsoft Malicious Software Removal Tool checks your computers for new, popular, and widespread malicious software, worm and infections that affect a huge number of home and networked computers especially running on the Windows Operating System.
Download Microsoft Malicious Software Removal Tool.
3. Scan your computer regularly.
You can either use Microsoft Safety Scanner, Microsoft Malicious Software Removal Tool, Microsoft Security Essentials, or an Antivirus. The Microsoft Safety Scanner is another computer security software from Microsoft that scans and removes viruses, spyware, and other malicious software. It does not have any problem even if you have another antivirus program installed, so you don't have to worry about antivirus conflicts.
Download Microsoft Safety Scanner.
4. Turn on Automatic Updates.
If you turn on Automatic Updates, Windows will automatically download and install the latest security updates, thereby protecting your computer and making it safe from recent viruses, infections, and malicious programs developed and spread by evil people.
How to turn on Windows Automatic Updates:
a. Click Start -> Control Panel -> System -> Automatic Updates -> Automatic (recommended)
b. Click OK.
5. Turn on Windows Firewall.
a. Click Start -> Control Panel -> Windows Firewall -> General.
b. Select the On (recommended).
c. Click OK.
Precautions and Warnings to protect your computer from online virus, spyware, malware attack:
- If you visit a website and you get a pop-up message saying "Warning! Your computer is infected", "Click here for a free scan ", or "Your computer has a virus", "Click here to scan your computer free" or similar messages offering you to download and click a link or message box or pop-up dialogue box.......................... DON'T CLICK IT......................... DO NOT DOWNLOAD IT.......................... because it will install the REAL virus, malware, spyware, worm, trojan, or other infection in your PC.
- Do not download from untrusted sites, especially torrent sites, filesharing, peer-to-peer, or any other free download sites that are not trusthworthy.
- Update your softwares regularly to protect your PC from new and recent viruses and other computer infections.
- Always scan before and after you use USB pendrives, flashdrives, or USB sticks.
These devices are used from one computer to another, so make sure you scan them first.
- Use strong passwords for all your online accounts.
- Protect your privacy online.
- Browse or surf the internet safely and securely.
- Remove or Disable untrusted add-ons or ActiveX controls.
- Practice safe and secure online transaction habits.